Floating Solar is an exciting and fast growing arm of the solar industry. Whilst the initial floating solar concepts were developed in the late 2000’s, Floating PV has only really taken off worldwide since 2016. Since then, a plethora of new projects and technologies have sprung up around the globe with an additional 650MW expected in 2018 (more than twice in cumulative installed prior). In this assignment, Multiconsult performed a comprehensive market and competitor analysis to determine where FPV projects are likely to be most attractive in the short term and which technologies are available/ competitive.
Scope of work
Multiconsult was hired to do a comprehensive market and technology study globally.
For the market analysis this included:
- Mapping of ideal locations for PFV
- Current and proposed incentives offered for FPV
- Determining the business case for FPV
For the technology study, this included
- Compiling a database of all known suppliers of floating solar systems
- Conducting interviews
- Scoring and ranking technologies on key attributes
- Obtaining price estimates
- Forming a view on technology maturity
- Market analysis
- Financial modelling
- Technology review